Job vacancy: Director General
DOT Europe is the trade association representing the leading Internet companies operating in Europe. Founded in 2000 as EDiMA, and relaunched in 2020 as DOT Europe, the association has developed in tandem with the rapid evolution of online services. Our members are some of the world’s most innovative and admired companies and provide Europe’s citizens and businesses with some of the internet’s most popular products and next generation services.
DOT Europe is a leading voice in the development of EU digital policy and works hard every day for an innovative, open and safe Internet for Europe’s citizens and businesses.
The Director General will be at the heart of EU Internet policymaking. Leading the association, they will work with members to agree vision and policy priorities and to ensure DOT Europe successfully communicates its vision. They will be a leading voice on Internet policy and will engage policymakers, NGOs and media on behalf of members. This high-profile role will provide challenges and opportunities at every turn.
DOT Europe committed to helping shape the Internet economy to ensure EU citizens benefit from an innovative, open and safe internet. Working with policymakers, NGOs and media DOT Europe seeks to ensure policy debates are informed by the expertise of our members and our team.
Governance and leadership:
- You will continue to develop the association and provide leadership and direction, delivering on all core areas of the work plan.
- Develop and advise the Board and membership on the association’s long-term strategy, strategic options, and action plans.
- Supervise the organisation of DOT Europe governance meetings (Board, General Assembly) including securing and managing the association budget.
External relations and representation:
- Act as key spokesperson for DOT Europe in public, with the press and at the most senior level of the EU institutions
- Maintain, nurture and develop relations with European and international institutions, partner organisations and networks.
- Represent DOT Europe at key events and meetings including at high profile events
- Ensure the organisation complies with all governance, financial and legal requirements.
- Oversee the financial affairs and budget of DOT Europe in cooperation with the Board officers and the office manager, under the direction of the Board
- Adhere to all policies and procedures which foster best governance practice as a non-profit international organisation.
- Ensure effective management of all staff members so as to maintain a cohesive, effective, motivated staff team.
DOT Europe membership:
- Oversee, develop & enhance the participation of the membership in the Association’s activities
- Develop and implement effective membership recruitment strategies and activities in cooperation with our members
- In collaboration with the Director for Policy
- Develop and implement an annual work plan based on identified DOT Europe policy priorities and anticipated EU policy developments
- Effectively influence EU policies that impact DOT Europe’s members.
Candidate profile and skill set
Essential qualities and skills:
- Deep understanding of tech policies.
- You are a campaigner with experience establishing policy priorities and creating creative and successful campaigns
- Experience in a leadership role, including managing a team
- Excellent knowledge of the European institutions with experience of working in this environment
- Excellent communications skills and proven experience in representing an organisation towards external audiences, including public speaking
- Experience in handling media relations.
- Substantial experience in financial and budget management
- Experience in project management
- Ability to motivate and lead a team
- Ability to work independently, while being part of a team
- Ability to juggle competing requirements, plan and prioritise
- Strategic thinking and planning and attention to detail
- Excellent networking skills and an established network of contacts in EU policymaking, preferably in the digital space
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Negotiation and diplomatic skills
- Analytical and problem-solving skills
- Creativity and problem -solving skills
- Ability to work under pressure
- Excellent knowledge of English and preferably at least one other EU language
- Knowledge of another EU language desirable
- Proven experience in a membership-based organization
- Sense of humour
The position holder must work at least part of the week in the DOT Europe office located in Brussels and have the right to live and work in the EU
Preferred starting date: asap
How to apply
If you are interested and think you fulfil the requirements, please send by email the following:
- A motivation letter (maximum 2 pages) explaining why you are interested in the position and think you have the right profile for the job
- A detailed CV
- Any references you may have that you consider relevant for the position
Your complete application should be addressed to: Ms Siada El Ramly on Siada@doteurope.eu
Deadline to apply: 02.11.2023
Only candidates shortlisted for interview will be contacted. Interviews and assessment will be held in November 2023 in Brussels.
Please note that DOT Europe cannot refund travel and accommodation costs for the interviews. DOT Europe does not cover relocation costs for candidates not based in Belgium.
DOT Europe is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes any application, whatever gender, racial or ethnic origin, religion or belief, disability, age or sexual orientation.
DOT EUROPE takes appropriate measures to ensure your personal data is not kept for longer than necessary for the intended purposes. That is why your CV will not be kept by DOT EUROPE after the recruitment process is finished.